Yesterday I made a birthday cake for one of my closest friends, for their birthday today. So I made a popcorn cake that would look like a popcorn an old fashioned popcorn box, (the red and white stripy ones )
It uses toffee popcorn, and alot of it at that, 200g to be precise! But I can tell you that it is totally worth it and it tastes, soo good !
- 70g butter
- 210g plain flour
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 210ml whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 500g icing sugar
- 160g butter
- 60ml whole milk
- 60g toffee popcorn, chopped
- more toffee popcorn, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 170*C/ 325*F/ Gas mark 3 and line two 9-inch cake pans.
- Put all cake ingredients in to a free standing mixer (or a bowl, but make sure you mix througherly) mix all ingredients in well, until light and fluffy.
- Pour in to the cake pans, and bake for about 30 mins, or until golden on top and when a skewer is inserted, it comes out clean.
- Again mix all the ingredients for the icing together in a new bowl.
- When the cakes are cooled put a good dollop of icing between the layers, and then spread it evenly, all over the cake.
- Top off the cake with popcorn.
- Optional – Add red and white stripes of fondant to the sides complete the effect of a popcorn box.
Happy Baking !